Highways and Public Works

Motor Vehicles

Gender Designation

Procedure for changing gender designation on drivers licence or general identification card

There are two ways you can change the gender reflected on your Yukon driver’s licence and/or general identification card:
1. By presenting an original birth certificate reflecting your correct gender; or

2. By presenting an original, completed Change of Gender Designation form.

a) The service provider must be a physician, psychiatrist, psychologist, nurse practitioner or a therapist/counsellor recognized by an accreditation body.

b) If you are under the age of 18 and do NOT have an updated birth certificate, the Parental Consent to Change of Gender Designation MUST accompany the Change of Gender Designation form. The parental consent is not required if you can provide proof, satisfactory to the registrar, that you are fully self-supporting. All parents/guardians who have legal custody MUST complete the Parental Consent to Change of Gender Designation. Witness(es) are only required if you are under the age of 18 AND are submitting a Parental Consent to Gender Designation form.

The Change of Gender Designation and Parental Consent to Change of Gender Designation forms contain private medical information and will be kept confidential and protected under the Access to Information and Protection of Privacy Act.
If you have any questions regarding the above, please contact the Registrar of Motor Vehicles at Unit A, 2251 2nd Avenue Whitehorse, YT Y1A 5W1 or phone: (867) 667-5313, toll free within Yukon, 1-800-661-0408 ext. 5313.