Highways and Public Works

Vehicle Registration

Motor Vehicles

How to Import a Vehicle into Canada

Before you can register an imported vehicle, you will need to provide completed paperwork from either Registrar of Imported Vehicles (RIV) or Canadian Border Services Agency.

Download a printable Registrar of Imported Vehicles (RIV) brochure in PDF titled Your Guide to Importing a Vehicle from the United States into Canada


Flood-damaged vehicles

Vehicles being sold from the U.S. and imported into Canada may be damaged by floods from the recent natural disasters in the U.S.

Important information from Canadian Council of Motor Transport Administrators (CCMTA) regarding flooded vehicles.

 Hurricane  Sandy

Crisfield Maryland after Hurricane Sandy passed on Oct. 30, 2012. Photo by Staff Sgt. Thaddeus Harrington, Maryland National Guard, used under Creative Commons licence.

Yukon and all other Canadian provinces and territories are taking steps to caution Canadians about purchasing or importing vehicles from the U.S. in areas affected by hurricane Sandy. Both new and used vehicles from these areas may be flood-damaged. Flood vehicles do not qualify for on-road licensing or use in Yukon or anywhere else in Canada.

To protect yourself, try to buy a vehicle only from a licensed dealer.

If you’re planning on buying a new or used car from a private seller, here are some tips:

  • Ask about damage. Ask the seller directly whether the car has been damaged by water or anything else and get the answer in writing.
  • Check for water damage. Look out for  damp or musty odours inside the vehicle and in the trunk signs of rust and mud in the vents, trunk, glove box and beneath the seats and dashboard
  • rusty brackets under the seats or carpets, and 
  • discoloured upholstery or carpet that fits poorly or doesn't match exactly.
  • Test everything. Test the lights, windshield wipers, turn signals, cigarette lighter, and radio. Turn the heater and air conditioner on/off several times just to make sure they work. 
  • Research the vehicle's history. You can buy vehicle history reports with American data from companies such as CarProof, Carfax or Autocheck.
  • Get it inspected. If you think the vehicle may have been flood-damaged, have it inspected by a certified automotive technician who specializes in electrical and electronic diagnosis.
  • Ask for the vehicle's U.S. registration. Note that the registration will only indicate flood damage if the seller’s insurance company officially declared the car to have been salvaged.

For information on importing a vehicle, visit the Registrar of Imported Vehicles site or call 1-888-848-8240.



Contact Canada Border Services Agency

In Canada              1-800-461-9999 (English)
                              1-800-959-2036 (French)

Outside Canada     (506) 636-5064 (English)
                              (506) 636-5067 (French)

Website: www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca

Contact Registrar of Imported Vehicles

Toll Free: 1-888-848-8240

Website: www.riv.ca

e-mail: info@riv.ca