Highways and Public Works

Vehicle Registration

Motor Vehicles

Vehicle Registration

 Renew a Vehicle Registration Online 
*Note: If you have outstanding parking tickets totaling $100 or more with the City of Whitehorse, you will not be able to renew your vehicle registration until they have been paid.

To register a vehicle, or if you have any questions regarding your registration, you can contact any of our offices and see below.

Registering a vehicle

Registering a new vehicle

You need to register your vehicle through any Yukon Motor Vehicles office

You will need to present the New Vehicle Information Statement (NVIS), the signed and dated bill of sale, and proof of valid insurance.

Registering a used vehicle

If you buy a used vehicle, you will need a signed and dated bill of sale, the previous registration and valid insurance to register your vehicle.

Registering a salvaged vehicle

You will need the signed and dated bill of sale, valid insurance and a mechanical inspection form performed by a licensed mechanic indicating that the vehicle is roadworthy. You must make every effort to have the proper documents that tie the previous registered owner to your purchase.

Registering a vehicle from outside of Yukon

In order to register a vehicle from outside of Yukon, you can either:

  • Remove the plate from a vehicle that you own that is currently registered in Yukon and take it with you (along with the registration belonging to that plate) when you go to purchase your new vehicle. Once you have a completed bill of sale, advise your insurance company that you will need insurance for the new purchase. When the insurance company has issued you valid insurance, you can put your plate on the new vehicle and drive it to Yukon. The vehicle must then be registered within 14 days from the date on the bill of sale.


  • Register your newly purchased vehicle via fax (867-393-6220) once you get all of the required documentation. Arrangements can then be made to have the plate sent to you.

Registering an imported vehicle

If you have purchased a vehicle from outside of Canada and want to register it in Yukon, you will have to present the original completed Vehicle Import Form issued by the Registrar of Import Vehicles and valid insurance.

To find out more, download the Registrar of Imported Vehicles (RIV) Guide to Importing a Vehicle from the United States into Canada or contact RIV or the Canadian Border Services Agency.

Contact Canada Border Services Agency

In Canada 1-800-461-9999 (English or French)

Outside Canada (506) 636-5064 (English or French)

Contact Registrar of Imported Vehicles

Toll Free: 1-888-848-8240
Email: info@riv.ca