What happens if my medical condition changes?
• If you have or develop any medical or physical disability that may impair your ability to operate a motor vehicle, you are required to inform Motor Vehicles.
When is my medical due?
• If you hold a commercial class licence (1,2,3,4 or any combination thereof) you will be required to provide us with a medical as follows:
o Ages 18-44, every 5 years
o Ages 45-64, every 3 years
o Ages 65 and over, a yearly medical will be required
• As a senior citizen holding a class 5 licence, a driver medical report is required at age 70, 75 and 80, then every 2 years thereafter or as required if you have a medical condition that is monitored by Motor Vehicles.
How can I obtain a Driver's Abstract?
Do I have to change my address on my licence if I move?
• You are required by law to update the address on your licence.
Is there a grace period after my licence expires?
• There is no grace period. Once your licence expires, you may not drive. You have up to 2 years to renew your licence without re-taking the written and road tests.
• You can renew your licence 6 months in advance of your expiry date.
• Upon renewal, your licence will be valid for a period of 5 years, expiring on your birth date.
How far in advance can I renew my vehicle registration?
• Three months! As soon as you get the notice, you are eligible to renew.
• You can renew online now at https://vehicleregistration.gov.yk.ca/mvrenewal.jsp
If I leave the territory, will I get a refund for the time remaining on my licence?
• There is no refund available.
Hours of operation:
Whitehorse office Monday – Friday 8:30am – 5:00pm (no lunch closure)
Territorial Agents Tuesday – Saturday 10:00am – 5:30pm
For any and all inquiries, please call 867 667 5315 or toll free 1-800-661-0408 (ext 5315)